Dr John McNair
|Dr John McNair|
MA Cant, PhD Edin
Senior Lecturer in Russian
Office: Gordon Greenwood (32), 436
Phone: (+61 7) 3365 3090
Phone: (+61 7) 3365 3090
- Introductory Russian I and II ( also contributes to Russian language courses at all levels)
- Russia Now and Then
- Reading Russia
- Literature and Society
- Russian Research Methods
- 19th-century Russian literature
- Russian-Australian cultural exchange
- the literature of self-writing
Current research projects:
- Literary biography of P.D.Boborykin; Anthology of Australian Travel Writing on Russia
- Alexander Massov, John McNair, Thomas Poole, eds. Encounters Under the Southern Cross: Two Centuries of Russian-Australian Relations, 1807-2007. Adelaide: Crawford House Publishing, 2007. xiv + 419pp.
- (Co-editor, with Thomas Poole) Russia and the Fifth Continent: Aspects of Russian-Australian Relations, UQ Press, St Lucia 1992
- Editor) At Home with the Gentry: a Victorian Lady's Diary of Russian Country Life, by Amelia Lyons. Bramcote Press, Nottingham, 1998
Recent book chapters/ articles include:
- Dostoevsky, 'Bobok', Pierre Bobo and Boborykin. In: Sarah Young, Lesley Milne eds., Dostoevsky on the Threshold of Other Worlds. Ilkenston: Bramcote Press, 2006, pp. 84-97.
- Australians in the 'Workers' Paradise': The Soviet Pilgrimage of the 1920s to 1930s. In Massov, McNair, Poole, Encounters Under the Southern Cross, 2007, pp. 185-203.
- Comrade Katya: Katherine Susannah Prichard in the Soviet Union. In Sheila Fitzpatrick, Carolyn Rasmussen, eds., Political Tourists: Travellers from Australia to the Soviet Union in the 1920s-1940s, Melbourne University Press, 2008, pp. 146-169.
- "P.D.Boborykin and the Renaissance of the Russian Theatre", Elspeth Reid,ed. Edinburgh Essays on Russia, Astra Press, Nottingham, 2000, 197-212
- "Visiting the Future: Australian [Fellow-]Travellers in Soviet Russia", Australian Journal of Politics and History, 46, 4 (Dec 2000), 463-479
- "Petr Dmitrievich Boborykin", J.Alexander Ogden, Judith E. Kalb eds, Dictionary of Literary Biography, Volume 238: Russian Novelists in the Age of Tolstoy and Dostoevsky', Bruccoli, Clark, Layman/Gale, Detroit, San Francisco, London, Boston, 2000,3-12
- "Zolaizm' in Russia", Modern Humanities Review 95, 2 (April 2000), 450-62
- "Childhood and the quest for self: Garin-Mikhailovskii and the uses of autobiography", NZ Slavonic Journal 35, 2001, 49-60
- "Comrades, I know, for I have seen': Jean Devanny in the Soviet Union", Australian Slavonic and East European Studies, 16, 1-2 (2002), 155-72
- "Rossiia skvoz' rozovye ochki: svidetel'stva avstraliiskikh kommunistok 30-kh godov", Problemy etnografii I istorii kul'tury narodov Aziatsko-tikhookeanskogo regiona, Peterburgskoe vostokovedenie, 2004, 280-88
- (Joint editor with Lyndall Morgan). Australian Slavonic and East European Review Volume 18, 1-2, 2004, 220pp.; Vol 19, 1-2, 2005, 208pp.; Vol 20, 1-2, 2006, 245pp.; Vol 21, 2007, 230pp; Vol 22, 204pp.
Other activities and service:
- General administration of Russian Program, including community liaison and study abroad
- past Vice-President, Australia and New Zealand Slavists' Association
- Co-Editor, Australian Slavonic and East European Studies
- Editorial Board, Irish Slavonic Studies.