Emeritus Professor Roly Sussex, OAM
|Professor Roly Sussex|
BA MA (Canterbury), PhD (London)
Emeritus Professor of Applied Language Studies
Major areas of interest
- Applied Linguistics.
- English in Australia and more widely, especially the Americanization of Australian English.
- The linguistics of the major European languages, especially French, German and Spanish, particularly in contrast with English.
- Community languages, their maintenance and survival, especially Slavic.
- Intercultural communication.
- The interaction of information technology with language learning and teaching.
- The Internet and intellectual cultures.
- Intelligent learning systems.
- Information technology and research.
- Typology of the modern Slavic languages, with special reference to Russian and Polish.
- "Changing Forms of Address in Australian English", Kenmore View Club, February 2005
- "Address and Informality in Australian English", St Lucia Probus Club, February 2005
Other activities and service
- Language talkback radio on Queensland, Tasmania, Northern Territory and South Australia ABC regional stations