Dr Karen (Kari) Sullivan
|Dr Karen Sullivan|
BA German and Scandinavian Focus (Univ. of Oregon), MA Linguistics (Univ. of California, Berkeley), PhD Linguistics (Univ. of California, Berkeley, "UC Berkeley")
Lecturer in Linguistics
Room: Gordon Greenwood Building (32), 516
Phone: +61 (7) 3365 2268
Phone: +61 (7) 3365 2268
- The Sound Pattern of Language
- Mind and Language
- (Past Teaching: Metaphor and Metonymy, English Phonetics, Introduction to Language)
- Cognitive Linguistics
- Construction Grammar
- Metaphor, Metonymy
- Semantic Change
- Language and Literature
Current research projects:
- Polysemy networks in English and Spanish
- psycholinguistic approaches to conceptual metaphor
- genre-specific cognitive structures
- metaphor and censorship
- metaphor in idioms
Selected recent publications:
- Frames and Constructions in Metaphoric Language. In the series Constructional Approaches to Language, Jan-Ola Ostman and Mirjam Fried, eds., John Benjamins, in press.
- Sweetser & Karen Sullivan. "Minimalist metaphors". English Text construction, in press.
- "One metaphor to rule them all? 'Objects' as tests of character in The Lord of the Rings". Language and Literature, in press.
- Karen Sullivan & Wendy Jiang. "When my eyes are on you, do you touch my eyes? Evidence from English and Chinese against PERCEPTION IS CONTACT". International Journal of Cognitive Linguistics, in press.
- “If and when it's a construction…”. Constructions and Frames 3:2, 236-260 (2011)
- 2009 “The Languages of Art: How Representational and Abstract Painters Conceptualize Their Work in Terms of Language”. Poetics Today 30(3), Durham, NC: Duke University Press:517-560.
- 2009 –– & Eve Sweetser. “Is ‘Generic is Specific’ a Metaphor?”. In Meaning, Form and Body, Fey Parrill, Vera Tobin, and Mark Turner (eds.), Stanford, CA: CSLI Publications: 309-327.
- 2009 “Grammatical Constructions in Metaphoric Language”. In Studies in Cognitive Corpus Linguistics, Barbara Lewandowska-Tomaszczyk and Katarzyna Dziwirek (eds.), Frankfurt/Main: Peter Lang Publishers.
- 2008 “Genre-Dependent Metonymy in Norse Skaldic Poetry”. Language and Literature 17(1), Belfast, UK: SAGE Publications: 21-36.
- 2007 “Metaphoric Extension and Invited Inferencing in Semantic Change”. Cultura, Lenguaje y Representación / Culture, Language and Representation, Special Issue: Metaphor and Discourse, Ignasi Navarro i Ferrando et al (eds.), Castellón, Spain: Universitat Jaume I Press: 257-274.
- 2007 “Lexical Filledness and Metaphor in Idioms”. Collocations and Idioms 1: Papers from the First Nordic Conference on Syntactic Freezes, Marja Nenonen, Sinikka Niemi and Jussi Niemi (eds.), Joensuu, Finland: Joensuu University Press: 330-341.
- 2006 “Frame-Based Constraints on Lexical Choice in Metaphor”. Proceedings of the 32nd Annual Meeting of the Berkeley Linguistics Society, Berkeley, CA: BLS.
- 2006 “How Does Art ‘Speak’ and What Does It ‘Say’: Conceptual Metaphor Theory as a Tool for Understanding the Artistic Process”. In Thought Tools for a New Generation: Essays on Thought, Ideas, and the Power of Expression, Eugene, OR: Robert D. Clark Honors College: 81-89.