Dr Wenying (Wendy) Jiang
|Dr Wenying (Wendy) Jiang|
BA (Qufu Normal University, China); MA (The University of Bedfordshire, UK); PhD (UQ)
Lecturer in Chinese
Office: Gordon Greenwood Building (#32), 512
Phone:+61 (7) 3365 6353
Phone:+61 (7) 3365 6353
- CHIN2110 and CHIN3010 Spoken Chinese 2A and 2B;
- CHIN2210 and CHIN3020 Written Chinese 2A and 2B;
- CHIN2111 and CHIN2211 Spoken and Written Chinese Accelerated 1B
- CHIN2750 Fundamentals in English > Chinese Translation
- CHIN3760 Techniques in English > Chinese Translation
- Second language acquisition in Chinese
- Computer-assisted language learning (CALL)
- Intercultural communication
Current research projects:
- Comparing L1 and L2 Chinese Mental Lexicons
Selected recent publications:
- Harrington, Michael and Jiang, Wenying (in press) Focus on the forms: Form recognition practice in Chinese vocabulary learning. Australian Review of Applied Linguistics.
Jiang, Wenying (2013). Measurements of development in L2 written production: The case of Chinese L2. Applied Linguistics, Vol. 34 (1), 1-24.
Sullivan, Karen and Jiang, Wenying (2012). When my eyes are on you, do you touch my eyes? A reclassificaiton of metaphors mapping from physical contact to perception. International Journal of Cognitive Linguistics, 2 (2), 185-196.
- Jiang, Wenying (2012). Use of a web-diary as a CALL task in teaching Chinese as a foreign language. In John Hajek, Colin Nettelbeck and Anya Woods (eds) The Next Step: Introducing the Languages and Cultures Network for Australian Universities (263-374), Selected Pproceedings of the Inaugural LCNAU Colloquium, held at The University of Melbourne, 26-28 September 2011.
- Jiang, Wenying (2012) Measurements of development in L2 written production: The case of L2 Chinese. Applied Linguistics, : 1-24.
- Jiang, Wenying (2009), Acquisition of Word Order in Chinese as a Foreign Language. MOUTON DE GRUYTER
- Jiang, Wenying (2008), book review: Yi, Zhou & M. Lynne Gerber, Working Mandarin for Beginners. Washington, DC: Georgetown University Press, 2007. The Modern Language Journal. Vol. 92, No. 4, pp. 650-651.
- Jiang, Wenying (2007). Why is /r/ rendered to /l/ in transliterating English personal names into Chinese? Translation Watch Quarterly, Vol 3, Issue 3.
- Jiang, Wenying & Zhang, Benshen (2007). Chinese Students’ Perception of EFL Teaching at a British University. In W. Hu & Q. Wen (eds.) ELT in China (4): Selected papers from the 4th International Conference on ELT in China (pp. 306-327). Beijing: Foreign Language Teaching and Research Press.
- Jiang, Wenying (2006). Acquisition of word order in Chinese as a foreign language: An error taxonomy. Unpublished doctoral dissertation. The University of Queensland.
- Jiang, Wenying & Ramsay, Guy (2005). Rapport-building through CALL in teaching Chinese as a foreign language: An exploratory study. Language Learning & Technology, 9 (2), 47-63
- Jiang, Wenying (2004). Teaching Chinese word order principles: A linguistic review. In J. A. Vadeloncoeur & P. Jervis-Tracy (eds.) Crossing Boundaries in Educational Research: Perspectives Across Paradigms (pp.229-258). Brisbane: Australian Academic Press.
- Spencer-Oatey, Helen & Jiang, Wenying (2003) Explaining cross-cultural pragmatic findings: moving from politeness maxims to sociopragmatic interactional principles (SIPs), Journal of Pragmatics, 35 (10-11), pp.1633-1650
Other activities and service:
- Organise Written Chinese Competition for Primary and High Schools in Brisbane;
- Organise School's annual "A Taste of University Chinese" program - an activity for high school students of Queensland