SLCCS Translating & Interpreting Forums
Date: 17th May 2013
Time & Venue: 9.30am-12.00pm , Playhouse Theatre, Women’s College (Building 36H), The University of Queensland, St Lucia Campus
Ita Szymanska: “AUSIT Code of Ethics 2012 – towards professional excellence
- Isaac Rooskov: “Projects, the people and communicating with stakeholders”
Akiko Uchiyama: “The Genealogy of Akage no An: Japanese translations of Anne of Green Gables”
For more information visit Translating & Interpreting Forum 2013 website.
Date: 27 April 2012
Time & Venue: 9.30am-12.30pm
- Sam Berner: “Staying Afloat in Stormy Waters - Continuous Professional Development and the Changing Translation Industry”
- Georgiana Poulter: “Negotiating with your Translation Client”
- Carles Gutiérrez-Sanfeliu: “The Translator as a Literary Historian”
- Will Gatherer: “Setting Up as a Freelance Translator: What are the Essential Steps to Take and What Online Resources are Available?”
Time & Venue: 9.45am-12.35pm , Playhouse Theatre, Women’s College (Building 36H), The University of Queensland, St Lucia Campus
- Sarel Grönum, UQ Business School. “Where to Now? New Venture Creation, the Rocky Road to Success”.
- George Zheyan Jiang, School of Languages and Comparative Cultural Studies, The University of Queensland. “A Yin-Yang Philosophical Perspective on English-Chinese Translation Studies”.
- Masahito Sugahara, School of Languages and Comparative Studies, The University of Queensland. “Introduction to Computer-Assisted Translation”.
- Leong Ko, School of Languages and Comparative Studies, The University of Queensland. “Planning for the December 2011 International Translating and Interpreting Conference”.
Time & Venue: 9.30am-12.20pm, Steele Building (3), Room 309, The University of Queensland, St Lucia Campus
- Jim Duncan, State Manager, Queensland Office, National Accreditation Authority for Translators and Interpreters Ltd. Jim will discuss the T&I profession today, with particular focus on the relevance of NAATI accreditation and the paths to accreditation.
- Tea C. Dietterich, Director – Multimedia Languages & Marketing; President – AUSIT Qld. “Translation Agencies – a dying breed?”
- Rona Zhang, Master of Arts in Translation & Interpreting (Chinese & English), UQ; NAATI accredited professional Chinese translator & Mandarin interpreter; Director, Auschina Translation; Secretary, AUSIT QLD; Advisor, Queensland Chinese United Council. The presentation will begin by Rona sharing her extraordinary career path from a student to a flourishing career as a professional translator and interpreter. In the talk, Rona will reveal her secretes to a successful career based on her personal experience:
- Simon Patton, PhD; Lecturer UQ. This talk will briefly examine some of the most beguiling features of poetry translation, including the exploitation/exploration of communication breakdowns and “rich points”.
Time & Venue: 9.30am-12.35pm, Frank White Building (43), Room 102, The University of Queensland, St Lucia Campus
- Georgiana Poulter, Director, Institute of Modern Languages (IML), The University of Queensland. “IML emerges as a translation and interpreting service provider”.
- Max Brändle, Director, NAATI. “A brief history of NAATI (National Accreditation Authority for Translators and Interpreters)”.
- Patricia Avila, Freelance conference and community interpreter, translator and trainer. “Qld Translation and Interpreting Industry”.
- Yuki Sayeg, Coordinator, MAJIT program, & Akiko Uchiyama, Translation Coordinator, MAJIT program. “The MAJIT E-learning Translation Project”.
- Leong Ko, Program Convenor of MACTI. “Translation and interpreting: From the classroom to the market”.