Dr Felicity Meakins
|Dr Felicity Meakins|
BA (Hons), MA (UQ), PhD (Melb)
ARC Research Fellow in Linguistics (DECRA)
Office: Gordon Greenwood Building (#32) 517
Phone: (+61 7) 3365 2877
- LING2040 Morphology
- LING3010 Grammatical Aspects of Language Contact
- LING3025 Study of an Aboriginal Language
- Language contact, particularly mixed languages, creole languages, code-switching and language convergence; Australian languages, including Gurindji, Gurindji Kriol, Bilinarra, Ngarinyman and Kriol;
- Morphology, particularly inflectional morphology in contact;
- Sociolinguistics, e.g. language ecologies, endangerment and shift, variationalist approaches;
- Language documentation, including fieldwork methodology, annotation of corpus data and the structure of reference grammars.
Current research projects:
- Out of the Mouths of Babes: The Role of Indigenous Children in Language Change (2014–2017) DECRA funded by the Australian Research Council (ARC) (C.I.: Felicity Meakins)
- Gurindji and Bilinarra dictionaries and databases. Funded by Department of Regional Australia, Local Government, Arts and Sports (DRALGAS) (P.I. Felicity Meakins). Held through University of Queensland
- Discourse and prosody across language family boundaries: two corpus-based case studies on contact-induced syntactic and prosodic convergence in the encoding of information structure. Funded by Dokumentation Bedrohter Sprachen (DOBES). (C.I. Eva Schultze-Berndt, Claudia Wegener, Candide Simard and Felicity Meakins). Held through Universität Bielefeld (Germany)
- Life after death: Exploring the birth of Gurindji Kriol, a new Aboriginal mixed language. funded by the Australian Research Council (ARC) DP0985024 (C.I.: Felicity Meakins)
- The Documentation of Gurindji Kriol, an Australian Mixed Language. Funded by the Endangered Languages Documentation Project (ELDP) IPF0134. (C.I.: Felicity Meakins). Held through the University of Manchester.
- Phonological development in child speakers of mixed language. Funded by the Australian Research Council (ARC) DP0985395 (C.I. Caroline Jones, University of Wollongong)
- Atlas of Pidgin and Creole Language Structures (APiCS) project. Funded by MPI (Leipzig, Germany). (C.I. Susanne Michaelis, Philippe Maurer, Magnus Huber, and Martin Haspelmath)
- Jaminjungan and Eastern Ngumpin Documentation project Funded by Dokumentation Bedrohter Sprachen (DOBES). (C.I. Eva Schultze-Berndt, University of Manchester)
- 2014. Felicity Meakins and Rachel Nordlinger. A Grammar of Bilinarra, an Australian Aboriginal language of the Victoria River District (NT). Berlin: Mouton de Gruyter.
- 2013. Felicity Meakins (Compiler). Bilinarra to English Dictionary. Batchelor: Batchelor Press. See also Bilinarra Multimedia Database
- 2013. Felicity Meakins, Patrick McConvell, Erika Charola, Norm McNair, Helen McNair and Lauren Campbell (Compilers) Gurindji to English Dictionary. Batchelor: Batchelor Press. See also the Gurindji Multimedia Database.
- 2012. Ivy Kulngari Hector, George Jungurra Kalabidi, Spider Banjo, Topsy Nangari Ngarnjal Dodd, Ronnie Jangala Wirrba Wavehill, Dandy Danbayarri, Violet Nanaku Donald Wadrill, Bernard Puntiyarri, Ida Bernard Malyik, Biddy Wavehill, Helen Morris, Lauren Campbell, Felicity Meakins and Glenn Wightman. Bilinarra, Gurindji and Malngin Plants and Animals. Darwin: Northern Territory Department of Land Resource Management.
- 2011. Case-marking in Contact: The Development and Function of Case Morphology in Gurindji Kriol. Amsterdam: John Benjamins
- In progress. Felicity Meakins and Caroline Jones. A challenge to neo-Whorfians: Language shift without cognitive shift.
- To appear 2014. From absolutely optional to only nominally ergative: The life-cycle of the Gurindji Kriol ergative suffix. In N. Amiridze, P. Arkadiev & F. Gardani. Borrowed Morphology. Berlin: Mouton de Gruyter.
- 2014. Language contact varieties. In H. Koch and R. Nordlinger. The Field of Linguistics: Australia. Berlin: Mouton de Gruyter. 362-411.
- 2014. Nominals as adjuncts or arguments: Further evidence from language mixing. In R. Pensalfini, D. Guillemin and M. Turpin. Language Description Informed by Theory. Amsterdam. John Benjamins. 283-312
- 2013. Caroline Jones and Felicity Meakins. The form and function of Janyarrp: Gurindji child-directed speech. Lingua 134: 170-93
- 2013. Kriol. Eva Schultze-Berndt, Felicity Meakins and Denise Angelo. Kriol. In S. Michaelis, P. Maurer, M. Haspelmath and M. Huber (Eds). The survery of pidgin and creole Languages, Vol I. Oxford: OUP. 241-51.
- 2013. Gurindji Kriol In S. Michaelis, P. Maurer, M. Haspelmath and M. Huber (Eds).The survery of pidgin and creole Languages, Vol III: The Language Surverys Oxford: OUP. 131-39.
- 2013. Caroline Jones and Felicity Meakins. Variation in voice onset time in stops in Gurindji Kriol: picture naming and conversational speech. Australian Journal of Linguistics. 33.2: 194-217.
- 2013. Mixed languages. In Y. Matras and P. Bakker. Contact languages: A Comprehensive Guide. Berlin: Mouton de Gruyter. 159-228
- 2013. Felicity Meakins and Gillian Wigglesworth. How much input is enough? Correlating passive knowledge and child language input in an endangered language. Journal of Multilingual and Multicultural Development 34.2: 171-88.
- 2012. Felicity Meakins and Carmel O'Shannessy. Typological constraints on verb integration in two Australian mixed languages. Journal of Language Contact 5.2 216-46.
- 2012. Caroline Jones, Felicity Meakins and Shujau Muawiyath. Learning vowel categories from maternal speech in Gurindji Kriol. Language Learning 62.4: 997-1260.
- 2012. Carmel O'Shannessy and Felicity Meakins. Comprehension of competing argument marking systems in two Australian mixed languages. Bilingualism: Language and Cognition 15.2: 378-96.
- 2012. Which mix? - code-switching or a mixed language - Gurindji Kriol. Journal of Pidgin and Creole Languages 27.1: 105-140.
- 2011. Caroline Jones, Felicity Meakins and Heather Buchan. Comparing vowels in Gurindji Kriol and Katherine English: Citation Speech Data. Australian Journal of Linguistics 31.3: 305-27.
- 2011. Borrowing contextual inflection: Evidence from northern Australia. Morphology 21.1: 57-87
- 2011. Spaced out: Inter-generational changes in the expression of spatial relations by Gurindji people . Australian Journal of Linguistics 31.1: 43-78
- 2010. Felicity Meakins and Carmel O'Shannessy. Ordering arguments about: Word order and discourse motivations in the development and use of the ergative marker in two Australian mixed languages. Lingua 120.7: 1693-1713
- 2010. "The importance of understanding language ecologies for language revitalisation", In J. Hobson and S. Poetch (Eds.), Reawakening languages: Theory and practice in the revitalisation of Australia's Indigenous languages. Sydney: Sydney University Press.
- 2010. "The development of asymmetrical serial verb constructions in an Australian mixed language". Linguistic Typology 14.1: 1-38
- 2009. "The case of the shifty ergative marker: A pragmatic shift in the ergative marker in one Australian mixed language". In J. Barddal & S. Chelliah (Eds.), The Role of Semantics and Pragmatics in the Development of Case. Amsterdam: John Benjamins. pp. 59-91
- 2008. "Land, language and identity: The socio-political origins of Gurindji Kriol". In M. Meyerhoff and N. Nagy. Social Lives in Language. Amsterdam: John Benjamins. pp. 69-94.
- 2008. "Unraveling languages: Multilingualism and language contact in Kalkaringi". In J.Simpson & G. Wigglesworth (Eds.), Children’s Language and Multilingualism: Indigenous Language Use at Home and School. New York: Continuum. pp. 247- 64.
- 2005. Felicity Meakins and Carmel O’Shannessy. “Possessing Variation: Inalienability and age-related factors in the possessive constructions of two Australian mixed languages.” Monash University Linguistics Papers. 4.2: 43-63.
- 2005. Patrick McConvell and Felicity Meakins. “Gurindji Kriol: A Mixed Language Emerges from Code-Switching.” Australian Journal of Linguistics. 25.1: 9-30.
- 2014. Review of 'The Genesis of Sri Lanka Malay'. Ed. Sebastian Nordhoff. Leiden: Brill. Linguist List 25.939
- 2009. Review of 'Deconstructing Creole'. Ed. Umberto Ansaldo, Stephen Matthews and Lisa Lim. Amsterdam: John Benjamins. Linguist List 20.2373
- 2009. Review of 'Final Cut Pro'. Journal of Language Documentation and Conservation 3.1: 125-30.
- 2007. Review of 'Computerised Language Analysis (CLAN)'. Journal of Language Documentation and Conservation 1.1: 107-12.
- 2004. Review of 'The Mixed Language Debate: Theoretical and Empirical Advances' Ed. Yaron Matras and Peter Bakker. Berlin: Mouton de Gruyter. Linguist List 15.2736.
- 2000. Review of 'The Lingo: Listening to Australian English' by Graham Seal. Sydney: UNSW Press. Journal of Australian Studies 24.65: 216-17
- 2011. Kamparnup Karu (Children's Bush Medicine). DVD in Gurindji and English. with Connie Ngarrmaya, Violet Donald, Topsy Dodd and Lisa and Keethan Smiler.
- 2011. Violet Donald Stories (Water, Damper, Bush Onions, Water Lilies). DVD in Gurindji and English. with Violet Donald.
- 2011. Kunawa (Cattle Creek). DVD in Gurindji, Kriol and English. with Connie Ngarrmaya, Ena and Sarah Oscar and Teresa Yupuny.
- 2009. Kajangarna Mangarri 3 (Water, Damper, Bush Onions, Water Lilies). DVD in Gurindji and English. with Violet Donald, Biddy Wavehill, Topsy Dodd and Kitty Mintawurr. 19min.
- 2009. Kajangarna Mangarri 2 (Witchetty grubs, Bush Plums, Conkerberries, Bush Potatoes and Bush Bananas). DVD in Gurindji and English. with Violet Donald, Biddy Wavehill, Topsy Dodd. 30min.
- 2009. Stories from the Station Days. DVD and booklet in Gurindji and English. with Violet Donald, Biddy Wavehill, Topsy Dodd and Kitty Mintawurr. 56min.
- 2009. Yiparrartu (Emu) Dreaming. DVD in Gurindji and English. with Violet Donald, Teresa Yupuny and Kathleen Sambo. 25min.
- 2009. Ochres: Yartu, Kalnga, Karntawarra, Ngunyjungunyju. DVD and booklet in Gurindji and English. with Violet Donald, Biddy Wavehill, Topsy Dodd, Teresa Yupuny and Kathleen Sambo. 39min.
- 2010. Artefacts (Kuturu, Kilkilpkaji, Yukurrukurru, Kawarla). DVD and booklet in Gurindji and English. with Violet Donald, Biddy Wavehill, Topsy Dodd, Jimmy Wavehill.
- 2008. Kawarla (Coolamon) Production. DVD and booklet in Gurindji and English. with Violet Donald, Biddy Wavehill, Peggy Wavehill, Jimmy Wavehill, Teresa Yupuny, and Kitty Mintawurr. 33mins.
- 2008. Kajangarna (Bush Medicine) 1. DVD and booklet in Gurindji and English. with Violet Donald, Biddy Wavehill, Topsy Dodd and Peggy Wavehill. 21mins.
- 2008. Kajangarna Mangarri 1 (Bush Bananas, Ashes, Bush Onions, Yams). DVD and 4 booklets with Violet Donald, Biddy Wavehill, Topsy Dodd, Teresa Yupuny and Kathleen Sambo. 33:30mins
- 2008. Ngarlu (Bush Honey). DVD and booklet in Gurindji and English. with Violet Donald, Biddy Wavehill, and Topsy Dodd. 11mins
- 2008. Wirriji (Hair String) Production. DVD and booklet in Gurindji and English with Violet Donald 22:30mins
- 2004. Children's Bush Medicine. DVD and booklet in Bilinarra and English. with Ivy Hector, Mildred Hector and Barbara Bobby.
- 2004. Nangangari, Barrjirda and Lardaj Dreaming. 3 DVDs and booklets in Bilinarra and English. with Ivy Hector, Mildred Hector and Barbara Bobby.
- I make Aboriginal language resources in Gurindji and Bilinarra, for example DVDs and booklets on bush foods and medicines, artefact production, Dreaming stories and ceremonial life. I have also been involved in producing dictionaries of Gurindji and Bilinarra with other linguists including Patrick McConvell, Erika Charola, Lauren Campbell and Justin Spence. I am also in the process of compiling a Gurindji Kriol grammar and a Bilinarra grammar jointly with Rachel Nordlinger. These have been the result of fieldwork over the last eight years in the Victoria River District of the Northern Territory (Australia).