Dr Ilana Mushin
|Dr Ilana Mushin|
BA U.Melb, MA U.Melb, PhD SUNY at Buffalo
Phone: +61 (7)3365 6810
- include interactions between discourse, cognition and grammar, pragmatics, perspective-taking in discourse, Conversation Analysis, typology, narrative structure, language shift and language maintenance, Australian Aboriginal Languages.
Clearing the path towards Literacy and Numeracy – Language for Learning in Indigenous Schooling. (ARC Linkage Project with Griffith University and the Queensland Department of Education and Training): This project uses Conversation Analytic methods to investigate language use in early schooling classrooms in a remote Queensland Indigenous community to address the ways in which the home language environments of children affect classroom interaction and orientation to learning. This project includes a descriptive linguistic and sociolinguistic study of Indigenous vernaculars spoken in Queensland indigenous communities.
Garrwa Language Project (AIATSIS Research Project): Ongoing description of the Garrwa language.
Indigenous conversational styles: Ongoing research on the role of culture and language in conversational practices in Indigenous communities.
Selected Recent Publications:
- Code switching as an interactional resource in Garrwa/Kriol talk-in-interaction. Australian Journal of Linguistics (Special issue on Talk-in-interaction in Australian Indigenous Communities), 30 (4) 471- 496 (2010).
- (co-authored with Rod Gardner) Silence is talk: Conversational silences in Australian Aboriginal talk-in-interaction. Journal of Pragmatics. 41. 2033-2052. (2009)
- (co-authored with Jane Simpson) Free to bound to free? Interactions between pragmatics and syntax in the development of Australian pronominal systems. Language 84 (3), 566-596 (2008)
- (co-authored with Rod Gardner) Post-start-up overlap and disattentiveness in talk in a Garrwa Community Australian Review of Applied Linguistics 30:3. 35.1-35.14
- The grammaticalisation of Second position: Evidence from North-Central Australia. Linguistic Typology 10 267-326 (2008)
- Word order pragmatics and narrative functions in Garrwa. Australian Journal of Linguistics. 25:2 253-273 (2005)
- Narrative functions of clause linkage in Garrwa: a perspective analysis. Studies in Language 29.1. 1-33. (2005)
Language and Identity in Australian Indigenous Communities. Canberra: Pacific Linguistics 2011 (co-edited with Brett Baker, Mark Harvey and Rod Gardner)